HERE IS ONE QUESTION TO CONSIDER
It is the middle of January, 5 degrees below zero. The snow is piled high with a -20 degree wind-chill. You are asleep in bed at 2:30am and you have to get up for work in 4 hours.
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
Your pager sounds, dispatcher calling for response to fully-involved house fire! Would you stay in bed, all nice and warm, OR would you get up, get dressed, respond to the firehouse where you’ll don an extra 100 pounds of firefighting gear, and go fight the fire, becoming a human Popsicle in the process?
If you chose to get out of that bed then continue on
To join South Schenectady Fire Department, please adhere to the following:
- All applicants must meet in person with the Chief of the department and be interviewed.
- Must be 18 years of age to apply.
- Must reside within a neighboring district and have the ability to respond to calls within 5 minutes.
- Must be in good standing within the community.
- All applicants are subject to a NYS Arson and Driver's License check prior to being voted on by the membership.
Benefits of Becoming a Member
Besides the satisfaction of donating your own personal time to help those in need, South Schenectady offers many incentives and benefits to its members: